Thursday 17 February 2011

Workshop 1 with Richard Sweeney

REPEAT.REPEAT.REPEAT.



This was the first of my workshops with Richard Sweeney, we were given one A5 piece of paper; folding, cutting and bending to create a range of different paper sculptures. The limitations given were no glue, tape and one piece of paper per sculpture. After looking through Richard's work i felt inspired to try the task for myself.





After several attempts and pieces of A5 paper, i created the following outcomes.  I played around with lots of different sized strips of paper folding and weaving them into a position in which i thought created the best possible outcome. I found the better outcomes were the ones with the least thought and more spontaneity.


I then decided to use a similar idea for my next paper sculpture, this time using thinner strips of paper but keeping them the same size. At first i decided to keep the sculpture flat on the desk, but after further experimenting i found the sculpture worked best s a 3D cylinder shape.





No comments:

Post a Comment