Wednesday 9 March 2011

Starting to think about task 2

For task 2 we were asked to design and create a poster for GF Smith Paper Company, celebrating its 100 years in the trade. Before this brief i didn't know much about the company and what they did so i thought it would be a good idea to get some background knowledge.
 While looking through the companies website i was immediately drawn to the logo...


They have almost used a repeating pattern to create the word 'GF Smith'. The shape used to create the letter 'F' has been used several times throughout the design just flipped, reversed and with a few extra add ons. I think the simplicity behind this design works very well.

I then went on to look into common designs the company produced, this will be useful to my project to help me create a range of ideas for my poster design.
Here are some examples of work by GF Smith Paper:


I love the fluorescent pink colour used here, it instantly draws your attention. I also noticed while looking through other designs, they don't tend to use alot of colours within their work, most designs are limited to 2 or 3. I will keep this in mind when designing my final piece.



All designs produced by GF Smith Paper follow a similar style- angular/straight photos of the work, very crisp bold fonts and a limitation of 2 or 3 colours. I will try and incorporate a similar style into my own piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment